- 7 days
- 6 cities
- 5 hotels
- 4 flights
- 2 rental cars
Expensify is just what the doctor ordered. It works simply and elegantly: you just take a photo of the receipt with your smartphone, add a couple of quick details, and it's uploaded to Expensify. Once there, you can quickly just add a category, and your expense report is built, complete with summarized amounts, and each receipt included. Oh, those online receipts? E-mail them to email@example.com and add them right in. Once you have your expense report the way you like it, you can e-mail a link from the web to whomever has to review it; they can import it into QuickBooks, print it, PDF it...whatever! It's perfect.
First, it has the delicious appeal of being free; that's perfect to try it out, but I want to make it clear: this is a service I will gladly pay for. Second, it integrates with your phone: iPhone, Blackberry, Android...if you have a smartphone, you have Expensify. Last, it removes all of the toil: my expense report was ready the minute I touched down back in SF, as opposed to the dread and hours it normally takes. One nice touch: the CEO emails you as soon as you establish an account. Respond, and he responds. Very smart.
Now, it's clear I am in love with Expensify, and, in the spirit of that love, I have some recommendations for upcoming changes:
- Find a premium option that charges money. My suggestion? OCR of receipts into the expense report; remove that "last mile" of toil. I want you around for many years; I want you to make money.
- Allow categorization of the transaction on the mobile. If it's a Meal, let me indicate that when I file the receipt, not have to wait to go on the web.
- Don't create a new expense report automatically when I log in on the web. Let me have to explicitly say so. I know, you are trying to save me time, but that time gets wasted later when I have to delete all of the reports I didn't mean to create.
- Allow a section of the site for in progress reports. Yes, I know my report remains in progress, but it's grouped in the same section as new reports. Let me have the assurance that you have saved my current report with a simple visual cue.
- Allow me to see my current expense reports in the smartphone app. Heck, I'm ok if this is part of your premium offering, but let me have the option.