Skip to main content

We're Back

Sorry we've been "off the air" for a while. We recently had a fun webhost experience. This in an interesting business, with some strange characters. Now, before I start to relate this tale, let me make it clear: my site is a plain old website. That means I need just any webhost. My only qualifications are that they are cheap, and give me lots of space, and are reliable. There have to be 500 companies that meet those criteria. Here's how it goes:

A couple of weeks ago, I got an email from my web host provider, saying they were having a "customer appreciation sale," and offering some good deals to upgrade my hosting. Now, I host two sites with this company, and rarely pay attention to the space, but no big deal. For my Tretakoff.com domain, I was paying about $8 a month for 500MB of space. Didn’t think much; just had my card charged every month. The host seemed to be run by one guy: Jay Higdon. Every now and then, I'd have an email exchange: always nice. So, I'm happy.

A week or so later, I was updating my site, and starting getting messages that I had almost no space left (amazing how much web space you can take up with a personal site!). No problem; I recalled the "customer appreciation sale:" looked like there was a good deal for me there! I read the fine print: it expired about 5 days previously.

Now, I'm a good customer, right? I host two sites with these guys, and have been there for years. I don't take much care and feeding. So, I use their help ticket system (they have no direct email address, of course) to ask if I, as a good customer, can take advantage of the sale, even thought I am 5 days late. Jay, being a good guy, will surely respond. I send.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.

I waited a week, and no response. So, I start to investigate my options for other webhosts. Much to my surprise, I find that there are a bevy of other providers who, for less money, will provide me with 5 or 6 times as much space (and transfer bandwidth). In other words, I've been getting a bit hosed. I'm not bitter: I was happy with Jay, and too lazy to be a smart shopper. So be it.

Now, armed with this info, I go back to the help system for Jay. Sure enough: there's my lonely help ticket, waiting for a response. Nada. Ok, I open up a new ticket: this time, I tell Jay that he has not responded in a week, and I find I can get a better deal with lost of other folks. I show him some of the packages. But, since I like Jay, and like hosting with him, I offer that, if he can match the package, I'll gladly give him the money instead. If not, we can part ways sadly, but part nonetheless. Off the ticket goes.

Now, remember: Jay does not offer me anything that these other hosts do. In fact, he offers me less. Most of these hosts are simple affairs: there is, literally, nothing to differentiate them from one another. They are a commodity, plain and simple. Yet, out of a misplaced loyalty, I offer Jay a chance to keep me. What do you think his reaction was to this nice gesture?

He cancelled my account.

Yep, just like that. Shut me down in less that 5 hours from receiving the second help ticket. No response. Just said that I was cancelled, per my request. Boom. Site offline. Mail offline. No place to publish the blog. Amazing.

So, now I'm with my new host, for a ton less money and a lot more space, and we're back. And I still shake my head in bemusement at those that think, selling a commodity at low price and margin, that they are somehow special. I stand educated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loyalty Review: Kohl's Yes2You

 As some of you know, I've spent over 15 years in the customer loyalty space. So, when I come across a new retail loyalty program, I can't help but see the pluses and minuses. After this many years, it's kind of ingrained. Periodically, I'll share my thoughts with you. Today, it's Kohl's turn under the scope. Let's have a look, shall we? I've divided the review up into three sections: what's good about the program, what's bad about the program, and what I'd change about it. That last one has some actual value: I charged hundreds of dollars per hour for loyalty program consulting, and had over a dozen clients, before I moved to JustAnswer FT. But, being a pandemic and all, I'm giving it away for free here. Kohl's, you're welcome. Here we go! The Good Sign up is opt in Seems odd to praise Kohl's for this, but in department store loyalty, this is a rarity, and a smart one. It means the customers who are opted in are already prime

2020 CV19 Lockdown: Winners and Losers

It is said that in any time in history, the winners and losers are determined when a unique set of circumstances arises the requires an unprecedented response. How a company responds to those conditions can often propel them to new heights, or sentence them to an ignominious end. This post is meant to be an ongoing and often updated list of those that may come out of the Great 2020 Covid19 Lockdown as champs...or chumps. Winners Zoom How is it that, with all of the video conferencing choices in the market, a relatively obscure one (and a freemium one, to boot!) ran away with the title? Think of it: you had entrenched competitors like Skype and Facebook, as well as work-focused like Microsoft Teams , Google Hangouts , and Amazon Chime , any one of which had far greater reach than Zoom . Yet Zoom won, to the point that they achieved the exalted state of having their product/platform become a verb ("I'll Zoom you later"). More amazingly, they even continued their gro

The Icarus Effect

This morning's news started with the latest grim proof of overdevelopment in a tough sector: SkyBus Airlines shut down , less than year from when it started. Never heard of Skybus? Not surprising; they chose to focus on trips from Ohio to the West Coast for ridiculously low fares. Yes, you read that right: the airlines' unique niche was that they focused on trips from Ohio . Was air travel such an amazingly profitable business that we needed that much segmentation and focus? Of course not. A year ago, when Skybus was just getting off the ground (har har), fuel costs were at an all time high. United was still in bankruptcy; Delta, a fellow airline with a major hub in Ohio, was just exiting Chapter 11. And yet, "irrational exuberance" led investors like Nationwide Mutual Capital, Huntington Capital Investment Co., and Battelle Services Co. to ignore the obvious signs of risk, and dive into what was a dubious investment. Today, they, and the passengers who were lured by