Skip to main content

Thoughts on airlines from recent trips

Look, I'm no seasoned world traveler. I fly maybe once a month, around the country. Once upon a time, I was so paralyzed with fear about flying I had to be sedated to even get near an airplane, but after so many flights, that's mostly passed. Last week, I was on three different airlines, in three different cities, and it got me thinking.

First, what the heck is it about air travel? Yes, it's fast and convenient, but I think JetBlue has it right: go between the big cities, long haul flights, and don't try to make it any more complicated than that. On the East Coast, there is simply no excuse not to take a train between cities 500 miles away. Out here in the West, the land is a little more expansive, but it's crazy to fly.

By the same token, I'm so conditioned to fly everywhere, I forget all about trains. Case in point: last week, I flew AirTran from Boston to Chicago. $39 ticket justifies me getting on an airline I never have heard of. Small old plane, poor service, but XM Radio at every seat. Overall, not the most amazing experience, and terrible headwinds meant a 2 hour flight was 4 hours. I left where I was staying in Boston at about 4:30 PM, and arrived in Chicago at about 11pm. Dropped me off at Midway Airport, one of these smaller airports that are cropping up all over, without the charm of a Long Beach or Burbank, for instance. Another hour's drive to a Holiday Inn Express for $70 (but free WiFi), and a forgettable dinner at Friday’s. I caught 5 hours of sleep between the work I missed while traveling and the paranoia about missing an early meeting in rural Chicago.

Contrast that with the other option I could have done: Amtrak, leaving Boston at 1:00 PM, getting in at 9:30 AM into Chicago. Could have worked the entire time, caught up on calls on the cell. Could have had a great dinner on the Lakeshore Limited, before retiring to my Viewliner Roomette, with my personal attendant. Ever slept on a train? NOTHING better. Wake up in the morning, hit the shower, grab some coffee, catch up on the work, and at 9:30 AM, you are in the heart of Chicago.

So, why didn't I do it? Several reasons:
- Truthfully, I just forgot. I forget it's possible to travel to another city on The East Coast by train. I live in San Francisco; going to LA or Seattle by train is a full 24 hour affair.
- Convenience. My meeting this time was out in rural Chicago, and started at 9 AM, so I would have been at least 2 hours late, probably.
- Cost. My plane & hotel? About $150. Train? $271, with the roomette.

Why doesn’t Amtrak get it? They have the infrastructure, but need to attract customers. Keep the prices for the basics a little lower, and make it up with premium services (DirecTV feeds in the rooms; WiFi on the train; special meals or DVD rentals). If the price had been $200, I would have seriously considered pushing back the start time of my meetings to accommodate. Seriously.

On the other side is JetBlue. They get it. Simple routes. Big leather seats. 30 channels of DirecTV in flight. No fancy meals, but enough selection of snacks and a great attitude that no one cares. They are full up, honest when they are late, happy to help, and inexpensive. Easily the best airline I fly. Perfect for Cross country flying. Boston to Oakland in just over 4 hours, for $130.

Finally, there’s United. I flew them from Chicago to Oakland. I’m a Premier member with them, but the joylessness of flying with them is painful. Since I am a frequent flyer, they upgrade me to “Economy Plus,” and make sure whenever possible that no one is sitting next to me. So, basically I get a little more legroom, without the comfort of JetBlue, and surly service. Not to mention crappy entertainment. No wonder they went bankrupt. Oh, did I mention my flight was over $400...one way?

They are trying to change with Ted, their discount airline, but even that is strained and hardly enjoyable. They are becoming the Amtrak of the air: supported by the government, woefully failing to compete or adapt, and sad.

In short, it's sad to see that, with this workaholic nation, we keep trying to go faster and jam in more, only to see if we planned better, we could be so much more productive, relaxed, and efficient, with no significant loss of time, if we just realized the plane is not always the answer.

I've learned it this week. I’ll look forward to applying it on my next East Coast trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loyalty Review: Kohl's Yes2You

 As some of you know, I've spent over 15 years in the customer loyalty space. So, when I come across a new retail loyalty program, I can't help but see the pluses and minuses. After this many years, it's kind of ingrained. Periodically, I'll share my thoughts with you. Today, it's Kohl's turn under the scope. Let's have a look, shall we? I've divided the review up into three sections: what's good about the program, what's bad about the program, and what I'd change about it. That last one has some actual value: I charged hundreds of dollars per hour for loyalty program consulting, and had over a dozen clients, before I moved to JustAnswer FT. But, being a pandemic and all, I'm giving it away for free here. Kohl's, you're welcome. Here we go! The Good Sign up is opt in Seems odd to praise Kohl's for this, but in department store loyalty, this is a rarity, and a smart one. It means the customers who are opted in are already prime

The Icarus Effect

This morning's news started with the latest grim proof of overdevelopment in a tough sector: SkyBus Airlines shut down , less than year from when it started. Never heard of Skybus? Not surprising; they chose to focus on trips from Ohio to the West Coast for ridiculously low fares. Yes, you read that right: the airlines' unique niche was that they focused on trips from Ohio . Was air travel such an amazingly profitable business that we needed that much segmentation and focus? Of course not. A year ago, when Skybus was just getting off the ground (har har), fuel costs were at an all time high. United was still in bankruptcy; Delta, a fellow airline with a major hub in Ohio, was just exiting Chapter 11. And yet, "irrational exuberance" led investors like Nationwide Mutual Capital, Huntington Capital Investment Co., and Battelle Services Co. to ignore the obvious signs of risk, and dive into what was a dubious investment. Today, they, and the passengers who were lured by

2020 CV19 Lockdown: Winners and Losers

It is said that in any time in history, the winners and losers are determined when a unique set of circumstances arises the requires an unprecedented response. How a company responds to those conditions can often propel them to new heights, or sentence them to an ignominious end. This post is meant to be an ongoing and often updated list of those that may come out of the Great 2020 Covid19 Lockdown as champs...or chumps. Winners Zoom How is it that, with all of the video conferencing choices in the market, a relatively obscure one (and a freemium one, to boot!) ran away with the title? Think of it: you had entrenched competitors like Skype and Facebook, as well as work-focused like Microsoft Teams , Google Hangouts , and Amazon Chime , any one of which had far greater reach than Zoom . Yet Zoom won, to the point that they achieved the exalted state of having their product/platform become a verb ("I'll Zoom you later"). More amazingly, they even continued their gro