Skip to main content

In Praise of the Palm GPS

Thanks to contributors to this blog, as well as my wife, I recently became the proud owner of a Palm GPS for my Palm TX. Consisting of a small (3"x2") Bluetooth GPS unit, a cradle that attaches to your windshield, and a handy cable that charges both the Palm and the GPS, this is TomTom on your Palm. Literally. It uses the TomTom software that you see in all the commercials, and your Palm. And, I'm thrilled to say, works like a charm.

You load the software on your Palm, throw the maps on your SD card, and you are in business. The GPS grabs a signal within seconds, and you are good to go. Setup is done through a simple wizard on your Palm, one time, and, as Southwest says, you are now free to move about the country. To test it, I took it on my recent trip to Arizona. I programmed in my favorites: city, street address, and a custom name. Then, when I got in my rental car, I fired it up. In moments, I had a built in navigator, complete with a wonderful British woman's voice (my choice) guiding me to my destination. No maps, no directions: just the GPS.

Great things:
- The voice is loud and clear. She always warned me ahead of time for my next turn or exit, and guided me well.
- The display is superb. Just follow the red line.
- The interface could not be more simple, even to use while driving.
- The software worked flawlessly with the rest of my Palm. Heading from Phoenix to Tucson, I was able to listen to a book with pTunes, then switch over to the GPS. It never missed a step.
- Missed a turn? No problem: it immediately recalibrates, and suggest an alternative route.

OK things:
- Maps are a little old (3-4 years). Newer housing developments are not in it, and you can't add custom destinations. At my niece's house, I wanted to tell it to remember the address, but it could not.
- It occasionally suggests double turns. I learned to mostly ignore the voice, and follow the red line on screen instead as a failsafe.
- The British voice is great, but uses British colloquialisms. Freeways are "motorways" and rotaries are "roundabouts."
- Newer freeway overpasses confuse it. You are suddenly driving through wasteland, and it takes a few moments to figure it out.
- Tunnels get it confused. Sometimes requires exiting the application, then restarting for it to catch up.

Bad things:
- The process of loading the maps to the SD card is SLOW.
- Maps are updateable...somewhat. Comes with a revised app that, according to reviews, causes poor performance. TomTom needs to address.

Overall, this is a major keeper. The cradle and charger cords are amazingly useful, and it definitely is ideal for a traveler who wants to maximize the use of a Palm. It works with my TX, as well as all Treos and LifeDrives.

Always great when a gadget works out exactly as you hoped!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Josh, is that the Palm Navigator Smartphone Edition 2?

Popular posts from this blog

Loyalty Review: Kohl's Yes2You

 As some of you know, I've spent over 15 years in the customer loyalty space. So, when I come across a new retail loyalty program, I can't help but see the pluses and minuses. After this many years, it's kind of ingrained. Periodically, I'll share my thoughts with you. Today, it's Kohl's turn under the scope. Let's have a look, shall we? I've divided the review up into three sections: what's good about the program, what's bad about the program, and what I'd change about it. That last one has some actual value: I charged hundreds of dollars per hour for loyalty program consulting, and had over a dozen clients, before I moved to JustAnswer FT. But, being a pandemic and all, I'm giving it away for free here. Kohl's, you're welcome. Here we go! The Good Sign up is opt in Seems odd to praise Kohl's for this, but in department store loyalty, this is a rarity, and a smart one. It means the customers who are opted in are already prime

The Icarus Effect

This morning's news started with the latest grim proof of overdevelopment in a tough sector: SkyBus Airlines shut down , less than year from when it started. Never heard of Skybus? Not surprising; they chose to focus on trips from Ohio to the West Coast for ridiculously low fares. Yes, you read that right: the airlines' unique niche was that they focused on trips from Ohio . Was air travel such an amazingly profitable business that we needed that much segmentation and focus? Of course not. A year ago, when Skybus was just getting off the ground (har har), fuel costs were at an all time high. United was still in bankruptcy; Delta, a fellow airline with a major hub in Ohio, was just exiting Chapter 11. And yet, "irrational exuberance" led investors like Nationwide Mutual Capital, Huntington Capital Investment Co., and Battelle Services Co. to ignore the obvious signs of risk, and dive into what was a dubious investment. Today, they, and the passengers who were lured by

2020 CV19 Lockdown: Winners and Losers

It is said that in any time in history, the winners and losers are determined when a unique set of circumstances arises the requires an unprecedented response. How a company responds to those conditions can often propel them to new heights, or sentence them to an ignominious end. This post is meant to be an ongoing and often updated list of those that may come out of the Great 2020 Covid19 Lockdown as champs...or chumps. Winners Zoom How is it that, with all of the video conferencing choices in the market, a relatively obscure one (and a freemium one, to boot!) ran away with the title? Think of it: you had entrenched competitors like Skype and Facebook, as well as work-focused like Microsoft Teams , Google Hangouts , and Amazon Chime , any one of which had far greater reach than Zoom . Yet Zoom won, to the point that they achieved the exalted state of having their product/platform become a verb ("I'll Zoom you later"). More amazingly, they even continued their gro