Skip to main content

Best Bond Theme

I recently got into a kick of listening to the James Bond themes, triggered by Billie Eilish releasing her latest version in advance of "No Time To Die". It got me to do some reassessment of my own previous rankings: some came down, some went up. In no particular order:

No Time To Die, Billie Eilish. I don't particularly see the appeal of this young wunderkind, but that's cool. I was particularly amused when I saw the description of the song as "James Bond ASMR." Perfect. However, her breathless, quiet voice is undeniably amazing pared with James Horner's orchestral score. I should hate this, but I find myself grudgingly admiring it, and wondering if, in the future, this becomes an all timer. I'll confidently put it in the lower end of the second tier of themes.

Writing's On The Wall, Sam Smith. I originally panned the hell out of this, thinking it sounded like a mashup of a musical number with a Bond theme. However, time has been kind to this tune; I find it much more resonant and true. I still think the movie it was designed for, Spectre, was a weak Bond entry, but I do like me some Daniel Craig-Bond. The song fit some of the film's moments well, and it adapted to an all-orchestral version in the movie quite well. I'd put it in the second tier of Bond theme songs.

Skyfall, Adele. A modern classic. Adele's rich, soaring voice, paired with the deliberate pace of this piece are a perfect match. Reminds me of Shirley Bassey's earlier iconic Bond themes, with a much more polished arc. Paired particularly well with the 2nd best Daniel Craig Bond outing. I have come to appreciate it more with time. Definitely top tier here, and, if pushed, I'd say moving up to the upper echelons.

Live And Let Die, Paul McCartney. Ok, let's just get this out of the way right now: this is the number one, the top of the heap, the one that all others are measured by. Perfect for it's time, ideal to introduce us to Roger Moore's first outing as Bond in the Bayou. Sir Paul is no stranger to working with rich symphonic accompaniment, and it shows. Unchanged ranking: the very top of Tier 1.

You Know My Name, Chris Cornell. I have a confession here: you know how there are some movies that if they are on and you come into a room, you have to watch them, no matter how many times you've seen them? I'm looking at you, Shawshank Redemption and GoodFellas. That's what I feel like with Chris Cornell's entry. I don't just love it; I find I go through periods where I find myself obsessed with it. The Soundgarden rawness, paired with the tight orchestral theme, just make this perfect to me. The fact that it sets the tone for Daniel Craig's first and best Bond film doesn't hurt either. Ranking unchanged, I'd put it squarely just behind Sir Paul's masterpiece, but I recognize that's a personal quirk, unlikely to be shared by most.

Die Another Day, Madonna. Surprisingly well produced, and light on the orchestra, for a Bond Theme. My original thought was it was utterly forgettable, but it's aged well, and surprisingly modern for the current pop scene, from the Queen of Pop. One of those forgettable Pierce Brosnan entries, that bordered on camp, at least it yielded a cameo from Madonna in the film that...almost worked. The song was in the bottom tier before, but it should come up a bit higher now.

Nobody Does It Better, Carly Simon. Originally, was up in tier 1 for it's iconic 70's vibe; perfect for one of the better Roger Moore films, The Spy Who Loved Me (where's my Lotus submarine???). But as time has moved on, I find myself being a little too syruply affected by this. Feels entirely too intimate, too pedestrian for a Bond song, compared to it's peers. I'd slip it to the bottom of tier 2 now.

For Your Eyes Only, Sheena Easton. Now this is what a Bond song aspires for: soaring vocals, mixed with beautiful symphony. Sheena Easton was a relative newcomer, and she never really became a superstar, but she had the looks of a Bond Woman(TM), which shouldn't have mattered but it did. You knew this was a Bond theme the first time you heard it. If anything, I appreciate it more, as it elevated an underwhelming Roger Moore entry. Bottom of Tier 1/Top of tier 2.

More to come...stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loyalty Review: Kohl's Yes2You

 As some of you know, I've spent over 15 years in the customer loyalty space. So, when I come across a new retail loyalty program, I can't help but see the pluses and minuses. After this many years, it's kind of ingrained. Periodically, I'll share my thoughts with you. Today, it's Kohl's turn under the scope. Let's have a look, shall we? I've divided the review up into three sections: what's good about the program, what's bad about the program, and what I'd change about it. That last one has some actual value: I charged hundreds of dollars per hour for loyalty program consulting, and had over a dozen clients, before I moved to JustAnswer FT. But, being a pandemic and all, I'm giving it away for free here. Kohl's, you're welcome. Here we go! The Good Sign up is opt in Seems odd to praise Kohl's for this, but in department store loyalty, this is a rarity, and a smart one. It means the customers who are opted in are already prime

The Icarus Effect

This morning's news started with the latest grim proof of overdevelopment in a tough sector: SkyBus Airlines shut down , less than year from when it started. Never heard of Skybus? Not surprising; they chose to focus on trips from Ohio to the West Coast for ridiculously low fares. Yes, you read that right: the airlines' unique niche was that they focused on trips from Ohio . Was air travel such an amazingly profitable business that we needed that much segmentation and focus? Of course not. A year ago, when Skybus was just getting off the ground (har har), fuel costs were at an all time high. United was still in bankruptcy; Delta, a fellow airline with a major hub in Ohio, was just exiting Chapter 11. And yet, "irrational exuberance" led investors like Nationwide Mutual Capital, Huntington Capital Investment Co., and Battelle Services Co. to ignore the obvious signs of risk, and dive into what was a dubious investment. Today, they, and the passengers who were lured by

2020 CV19 Lockdown: Winners and Losers

It is said that in any time in history, the winners and losers are determined when a unique set of circumstances arises the requires an unprecedented response. How a company responds to those conditions can often propel them to new heights, or sentence them to an ignominious end. This post is meant to be an ongoing and often updated list of those that may come out of the Great 2020 Covid19 Lockdown as champs...or chumps. Winners Zoom How is it that, with all of the video conferencing choices in the market, a relatively obscure one (and a freemium one, to boot!) ran away with the title? Think of it: you had entrenched competitors like Skype and Facebook, as well as work-focused like Microsoft Teams , Google Hangouts , and Amazon Chime , any one of which had far greater reach than Zoom . Yet Zoom won, to the point that they achieved the exalted state of having their product/platform become a verb ("I'll Zoom you later"). More amazingly, they even continued their gro